Each day, more and more people are dealing with issues that affect an aging population. Lawyers who work in elder law know how to deal effectively with the types of problems that can arise in the elderly population.
Sadly, one of the growing areas of elder law concerns abuse of the elderly ― those who are unable to protect themselves in a nursing home or caregiving setting. When a loved one is preyed upon by abusive attendants, you do not need to sit idly by. Physical, psychological and financial abuse, as well as neglect and abandonment, can be actionable. A skilled Tucson civil litigation attorney can put a stop to the harmful behavior and help you move your loved one to a safer place.
The elderly may not be able to express what is occurring when you are not there. It is wise to be on the lookout for harmful situations. Some signs that your elderly relative may be abused include the following:
- Fear of the staff
- Finding unexplained marks, bruises or injuries
- Use of restraints or beatings
- Verbal abuse
- Finding bedsores
- Slip and fall accidents due to inattention
- Bedsores or ulcers caused by failure to turn patients in bed or leaving them in wheelchairs for too long
- Hip fractures or other unexplained injuries
- Missing valuables
An experienced attorney at Heurlin Sherlock can assist with all your elder law needs.